EWG Risk Score:
What is it?
This selenium compound is used as a hair conditioning and anti-dandruff agent.
What type of products is it found in?
Shampoos and conditioners
Why is it a risk?
- Selenium sulfide is a suspected carcinogen. (Source)(Source)
- Considered by OSHA to be a hazardous material. (Source)
- Respiratory toxin / dust breathing hazard. (Source)
- Some selenium compounds have been found to be reproductive toxins, that may affect fertility in women and development of fetuses. (Source)
- "Repeated exposure can cause pallor, nervousness, and mood changes." (Source)
- May cause damage to liver and kidneys. (Source)