EWG Risk Score:
What is it:
Dimethicone is a silicone product that's used as a skin conditioning agent and emollient. According to EWG, "Dimethicone is a mixture of fully methylated linear siloxane polymers end blocked with trimethylsiloxy units." It's also known at "polydimethylsiloxane"
According to the MSDS sheet found here, Dimethicone:
- May bioconcentrate in aquatic organisms
- May cause eye irritation
- May cause skin irritation
- May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
- May cause irritation of the digestive tract; harmful if swallowed
- May cause respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
- Adverse reproductive effects have been reported in animals.
- Animal studies have reported the development of tumors.
It is unknown if the reproductive effects and tumor growth animal studies are based on external application or ingestion (typically there are ingested in those types of studies). However, "may be harmful if absorbed through the skin" is a pretty clear clue to avoid this ingredient.